academic title and school
Program Director & Professor
S &D06s& Coombs ~3#$A~ hbmsu &D06s& ac &D06s& ae
Learning & Knowledge Technologies
Open Distance & Flexible Learning (ODFL)
Professional Learning & Leadership
Personal Construct Theory
Self-organized Learning (S-o-L)
Living Global Citizenship
BSc Hons Applied Physics – University of Bath, UK – 1979
PGCE Physical Sciences – University of Bristol, UK – 1980
PGDip Comp Ed – University of Exeter, UK – 1989
PhD Human Learning – Brunel University, UK - 1996
Teaching Fellowship – Bath Spa University, UK – 2007
Professor of Teacher Education – University of the South Pacific - 2013
- BSc Hons Applied Physics – University of Bath, UK – 1979
- PGCE Physical Sciences – University of Bristol, UK – 1980
- PGDip Comp Ed – University of Exeter, UK – 1989
- PhD Human Learning – Brunel University, UK - 1996
- Teaching Fellowship – Bath Spa University, UK – 2007
- Professor of Teacher Education – University of the South Pacific - 2013
- Sharma, A., Coombs, S., Chandra, S., & Sagaitu, M. (2015) Education in Fiji: Evolution from Colonial to Modern Times, in Crossley, M., Hancock, G., Sprague, T. (Eds.), Education in Australia, New Zealand and The Pacific. Bloomsbury: London.
- Coombs, S., Potts, M. & Whitehead, J. (2014) International Educational Development and Learning through Sustainable Partnerships: Living Global Citizenship. London, NY: Palgrave.
- Isaacs, T. Zara, C. Herbert, G. Coombs, S.J. & Smith, C. (2013) Key Concepts in Educational Assessment. London: SAGE.
- Gardner, F. & Coombs, S. (Eds.) (2010). Researching, Reflecting and Writing about Work: Guidance on training course assignments and research for psychotherapists and counsellors. London: Routledge.
- Coombs, S. & Potts, M. (2013) Living citizenship: transcending the cultural divide, Educational Action Research, 21:3, 429-443, DOI: 10.1080/09650792.2013.813401. To link to this article: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09650792.2013.813401
- Zhao, H. and Coombs. S. (2012) Intercultural teaching and learning strategies for global citizens: a Chinese EFL perspective. Teaching in Higher Education, 17(3), 245-255. DOI:10.1080/13562517.2011.611874. URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13562517.2011.611874
- Coombs, S. & Simon, C. (2011). Designing accredited CPD for the Children’s Workforce: Challenges and opportunities facing Higher Education in England. Professional Development in Education, 37(1), 111-129. DOI: 10.1080/19415257.2010.486585. URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19415257.2010.486585
- Coombs, S. & Sorensen, N. (2010). Whither postgraduate professional development? Towards a theoretical framework to guide long-term teacher development in England. Professional Development in Education. 36(4), 683–689, Viewpoint article. DOI: 10.1080/19415250903181295 URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19415250903181295
- Zhao, H.; Coombs, S. & Zhou, X. (2010). Developing professional knowledge about teachers through metaphor research: facilitating a process of change. Teacher Development: An international journal of teachers' professional development. 14(3), 381-395. DOI: 10.1080/13664530.2010.504024. URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13664530.2010.504024
Research Conference Papers
- Bhattacharya, M. & Coombs, S. (2016). The challenges and opportunities of internationalizing higher education within a globally mobile society. Plenary keynote accepted by the Center for Research in International Education at the 2016 International Conference on Trends and Issues in International Education, Auckland Institute for Studies, 18-20 January, 2016 Auckland, New Zealand.
- Coombs, S. & Bhattacharya, M. (2015). Creating a synergy between courses designed for a global skills development program for engineering students, Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers (IEICE) invited talk at the Institute of Educational Technology study group conference, November 20, 2015. [Online]. Available at: http://www.ieice.org/ken/paper/20151120Wb3W/.
- Bhattacharya, M. & Coombs, S. (2015). Proposing a new Postgraduate Program for Faculty Development for the Globalization of Engineering Education, Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers (IEICE) invited talk at the Institute of Educational Technology study group conference, Nov., 20, 2015. [Online]. Available at: http://www.ieice.org/ken/paper/201511201b3w/.