The School Dean’s responsibility is to provide an ongoing creative and innovative leadership to the school and lead its growth in alignment with the university model and strategic directions. The Dean is responsible for supporting the university administration and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs in the development and management of all aspects related to the design, development and delivery of new and current academic and professional programs of the school in alignment with the university integrated quality management system and the University Life Long Learning (LLL) Model. Furthermore, the Dean is responsible to fostering a culture of research and innovation environment within the school and leading the various activities in the school including securing research grant , scholarly research activities, and university/community engagement initiatives.
Main roles & responsibilities
- Chair the school council.
- Take an active role in policies review, development, and ensure its systematic deployment within all areas throughout the school to ensure compliance, accountability, and efficiency.
- Contribute to the University quality and governance system and decision-making to enhance school and faculty’s management and governance
School operations and growth:
- Provide ongoing creative and innovative leadership to the school and ensure the effective and efficient operation and that highest quality standards are met.
- Lead the development and implementation of the school strategic planning, action planning and budgeting, financial strategy to achieve University strategic goals and priorities.
- Ensure profitability and long-term financial viability of the school and all its programs and an appropriate contribution to University costs through supporting the Marketing team in promoting academic programs and professional courses, recruiting learners, and deploying faculty and financial resources effectively.
- Supervise the performance of program chairs, faculty and facilitate their work.
- Plan, develop, and oversee the implementation of the schedules and the assignment of full-time instructional faculty according to the annual workload plan in collaboration with program chairs.
- Plan, develop, and oversee the progress of content development, use, and maintenance.
- Work closely with various stakeholders within the University to foster a learners’ centric environment that is proactive and responsive to the learners’ needs in which learners are actively engaged.
- Oversee the academic advising through the school and monitor learner’s overall performance.
- Design, develop, and maintain course content related to his/her own teaching (with aid of instructional designer) field of competence.
- Tackle issues, direct comments toward the content and learning objectives, set up discussion forum, probes for learners’ responses that focus discussions on critical concepts, principles, and skills in his/her own courses.
Faculty and associate management:
- Manage faculty recruitment, development, workload, annual performance appraisal, promotion, and retention to ensure that the school is supported by a highly qualified and strong faculty community.
- Manage associate faculty recruitment, training and development, assignments, performance evaluation, and retention within established policies and procedures.
- Review and oversee the deployment of the annual workload plan for full-time instructional faculty that cover teaching, facilitation, e-content development, research, advising, committee work, curriculum development, accreditation, and community engagement.
- Promote and encourage the pursuit of excellence and innovation in teaching and learning, research, administration, and community services, including submissions to internal, national, regional and international awards.
- Establish and maintains a collegial, positive and healthy work environment that is conducive to achieve higher levels of performance.
Curriculum and accreditation:
- Enhance and grow a portfolio of innovative programs that respond to the needs of the 21st century in alignment with the university and country strategic directions.
- Seek and maintain local and international accreditation for all programs and offerings of the school in collaboration with department chairs, faculty, and CEG.
- Foster a culture of research and environment within the school that encourage scholarly research activities and application for research grants among both faculty and learners in coordination with the Dean of Scientific Research and Doctoral Studies.
- Explore, initiate, develop and sustain a range of affiliations and partnerships with industry, government, professional and wider community to support the university and school’s strategic objectives, activities, and programs.
- Build collaborative relationships with the learner body and other divisions and departments of the University.
Information Security/Health and Safety:
- Adhere to local and external relevant health and safety and information security laws and policies
- As applicable liaise and coordinate with information security stand-up committee to ensure effective implementation of security initiatives.
Required qualification & skills
- Appropriate experience or expertise in a discipline relevant to the position in an academic development / management / equivalent role of not less than 5 years (as Dean, head of department, department chair, etc.).
- PhD. degree in relevant discipline/area an accredited University, ranked among the top 200 in one of the ranking agencies such as QS, ARWU or THE in a discipline relevant to the program offered by the school. He must provide proof of his research based promotion to a full Professor Rank
- Certification/course related to the discipline or field will be an added advantage.
- Successful experience in managing academic staff and act as role model.
- Ability to manage academic and support staff to achieve performance targets.
- Successful involvement in program development.
- Track record of effective teaching and research.
- Experience of managing budget and effective development and implementation of strategic planning.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to act corporately and work on own initiatives.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- High level work ethics.
- Problem solving and decision making.
- Teamwork and Time management skills.
- Multitasking and self-disciplined.
- Energetic and inspirational.
- Adapts to the social and cultural environment.
- Excellent IT skills (Social networking) and Pedagogical e-learning skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills in English language.