The Senior System Engineer is responsible for administering, designing, configuring, and maintaining infrastructure services, systems, and processes, including servers, storage, backup, datacenter, both on-premise and cloud environments.
Main roles & responsibilities
- Manage the operation and maintenance of server operating systems (Windows and Linux) and all related systems such as DC, Office 365, DNS and DHCP, SCCM, directory services, group polices, Terminal servers, File and Print Servers, email systems, operating systems patching, Proxy Servers, anti-virus systems, virtualization environments (Hyper-V, Oracle VM, VMware),
- Explore, use, and manage AWS native services and technologies including but not limited to, EC2, S3, Auto Scaling, RDS, Route 53, Cloud watch, Lambda , VPC, ELB, AZs, IAM , Security Groups, NACLs, Guard Duty, Inspector, Cloud Trail, AWS Config, AppStream, SQS, SNS, Redshift and AWS Transfer.), RedHat, Centos, Ubuntu, Oracle Linux, Gluster FS, GFS, Apache web service, PHP configurations, Users and permissions, etc.
- Identify, propose, and test new systems for improving performance and solving technical challenges and enabling the university business.
- Provide second line support to end-users.
- Administer, monitor, and troubleshoot servers and system backups for servers and clients. This includes implementing all relevant policies and procedures to ensure successful backup and restoration. This applies to all data on-premise and on cloud.
- Assist in maintaining and writing active directory policies.
- Train and mentor other system engineers when applicable.
- Administer and maintain the datacentre, including the daily operational tasks for the hardware of both servers and storage, to ensure the availability of systems.
- Administer system resources (disks, memory, CPU, etc.) to ensure scalable and available resources. Create and develop plans for upgrades, patch management, optimization, and capacity sizing of all infrastructure systems.
- Follow best practices for securing systems and data. Report any security-related issues immediately to the line manager and to the AIT ISM. Implement all ISMS manual guidelines.
Required qualification & skills
Education and Academic Qualifications:
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in a similar position.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer engineering, computer science, electrical engineering, or a related field.
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect or DevOps Engineer
- MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional)
- MCSA (Microsoft Certified Administrator)
- MCSE (Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert)
- MCTS (Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist)
- MCITP (Microsoft Certified IT Professional)
- Red Hat RHCSA, RHCE & RHCA
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Infrastructure system technologies and processes.
- AWS native services.
- Server operating systems; virtualization technologies.
- Programming languages (such as C#/.Net, C/C++., C#, Perl, Python, PowerShell, JSON and YAML).
- Time and project management skills.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Interpersonal, communication and soft skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and in a diverse culture.
- Excellent communication skills in English languages; Arabic language is an advantage.