What is Hamdan Bin Mohammed Smart University all about?

Hamdan Bin Mohammed Smart University adopts a lifelong learning model which serves as a guide for learners seeking either academic or professional development at all career levels using a blended learning approach, which heavily relies on the use of advanced technology

What is Blended Learning?

Blended learning refers to a learning situation where different delivery methods are combined together to deliver a particular program or course. For example, a course can be delivered through the use of face-to-face classrooms, online collaboration (synchronous and asynchronous learning), and self-paced learning. Hamdan Bin Mohammed Smart University adopts a blended learning approach in the delivery of its various programs and courses. The blend combines the benefits of face-to-face learning, online synchronous Learning and self-paced learning.

  • Face to Face Learning: Learners and faculty members meet on campus or in physical setting to engage with learning.
  • Synchronous Learning: Synchronous learning is conducted in real time using the virtual classroom (wimba) where learners, instructors, peers participate through interaction and engagement with the disciplinary content using such tools as file sharing, Chat, Instant messaging and shared whiteboard, etc. Synchronous classes are scheduled with a start and end time as per the published schedule.
  • Self-paced Learning: is a delivery approach requiring the direction of the course faculty member, facilitation, feedback, and interaction in order to guide the learner towards meeting particular learning outcomes. Faculty members will make learning materials available to learners and will assign relevant activities and assessments both formal and informal to ensure learning has taken place and the intended objectives of that component of learning have been met.

Asynchronous communication: occurs when faculty members and learners, or learners and their peers interact with each other in different times and places. Asynchronous communication is not bound within a specific time. Examples of tools supporting asynchronous communication include emails, discussion forums, blogs, etc. Asynchronous learning can support any component of the blend distribution.

Does HBMSU have full time on campus faculty members?

HBMSU has full time faculty on campus plus a large pool of associate faculty members from diverse educational, cultural and national backgrounds. HBMSU faculty members are all carefully selected based on their intensive experience, research background and expertise and are available to support HBMSU learners and offer academic advising support.

What is Smart Learning?

Smart Learning is the use of technology to enable people to learn anytime and anywhere; it refers to the delivery of learning and training by means of advanced technology, such as the Internet, Intranet, CDs, DVDs, etc.

Are there any physical components to the program where I must attend?

Yes. Some programs require you to attend face to face classes. Every program and every course clearly mentions the requirements for physical attendance. The University offers the majority of its courses in the afternoon, after 3:00 pm.

What programs does HBMSU offer?

HBMSU offers both academic and professional development programs and courses; in addition to General Education Programs

Do I need to be online at a specific time and day to participate in my class?

Yes, there are specific times where you need to be available online to attend your virtual classroom, the schedule for the course is made available to you through the Admissions and Registration Office at the beginning of the semester. It will specify dates and timings of your face to face and online synchronous classes. Attendance to online and face to face classes is compulsory. The time for the classes is usually set in the evening to accommodate our working learners.

What makes HBMSU different from other Higher Education Institutions?

HBMSU is unique, being the first Smart Learning Higher Education Institution, to be recognized by the Ministry of Higher Education & Scientific Research in the UAE; offering its learners flexibility in learning without having to give up work or family committee. The University offers unique well designed programs covering the area of business and quality, healthcare administration, environmental studies and modern education. It attracts highly qualified faculty members and staffs from over 25 countries. The University also adopts the latest pedagogical theories and strategies in learning and offers a "State of the art" virtual learning environment and unique learners' experience through a dedicated team who strive to promote learners' centricity at all level. The university designed a large range of learners’ centric services including a library, electronic career advising and placement services (e-CAPS), Learner Relationship Management office, etc. The university also offers programs to promote lifelong learning, enabling continuous academic and professional development at all levels.

Does the Ministry of Higher Education & Scientific Research in the UAE, recognize HBMSU, and are the HBMSU academic programs accredited?

The University is licensed by the Ministry of Higher Education & Scientific Research in the UAE, and all its undergraduate and postgraduate academic programs are accredited. Please visit the CAA link for details at https://www.caa.ae/caa/DesktopModules/Institutions.aspx

How will I be assessed in my different courses?

Each course has a different assessment strategy specially designed to assess the achievement of course outcomes set. The assessment strategy varies in nature accordingly. Generally every course has a 60% formative ongoing assessment during the semester and the remaining 40% are summative in nature and takes place towards the end of the semester. Assessment may include: online or face to face examinations, group or individual projects, case studies and discussion in online or face to face classes, participation using particular web 2.00 tools. The assessment strategy for every course is detailed in the course syllabus made available to learners at the beginning of the semester.

Does HBMSU provide student visas?

Each course has a different assessment strategy specially designed to assess the achievement of course outcomes set. The assessment strategy varies in nature accordingly. Generally every course has a 60% formative ongoing assessment during the semester and the remaining 40% are summative in nature and takes place towards the end of the semester. Assessment may include: online or face to face examinations, group or individual projects, case studies and discussion in online or face to face classes, participation using particular web 2.00 tools. The assessment strategy for every course is detailed in the course syllabus made available to learners at the beginning of the semester.

Does HBMSU provide student visas?

Yes, HBMSU provides visas for international learners after they had been admitted.

How do I transfer credit to HBMSU?

Apply for admission to the program. Program directors will compare the course syllabi you provide together with your MOHESR authenticated and equivalent Official Transcript to the requirements of your HBMSU program. A maximum of 50% of the HBMSU program courses may be transferred to HBMSU. Courses with the same title and description will not necessarily be transferred. HBMSU does not have articulation agreements (transfer credit agreements) with other UAE MOHESR institutions. If you are currently an HBMSU learner and wish to complete a course at another UAE MOHESR institution, discuss your plans with your academic advisor. You must apply for permission to include a course from another institution as you complete your HBMSU program.

What are HBMSU admission requirements for academic programs?

HBMSU admits applicants to its various programs with equal opportunities irrespective of their national origin, gender, disabilities or religion; provided that they satisfy the University's minimum admission requirements. Admission requirements in the HBMSU are published through appropriate means and vary from one program to another and conform to the admission standards of the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research (MOHESR).

How do I apply to HBMSU?

Applicants can apply to HBMSU by filling an Online Admission Application available on the HBMSU website. Along with the application all required documents need to be forwarded to the Office of Admission. Although we strongly recommend applicants to apply online in order to expedite the admission process; other alternatives are made available for those who may not feel comfortable with filling online applications.

What happens after I apply to HBMSU?

Upon receiving your complete admission application, an admission committee will review and evaluate your application against the admission criteria and you shall receive formally and in writing the response of the committee.

What happens after being accepted to HBMSU?

Accepted applicants are registered within the University system and are assigned an ID number and an academic advisor. Once accepted, all undergraduate applicants, unless exempted, are required to sit for a Math Placement Test. Once results of the test are released learners need to contact their e-advisors for course selection and enrollment.

Postgraduate accepted applicants with no previous managerial background in certain program will need to register and pass the Management Appreciation Program before they are register in courses.